Pumpkin polenta is the perfect comfort food for the Fall when we crave all things pumpkin-flavored.
Instead of grabbing that fat-filled, unhealthy Pumpkin Spice Latte, instead enjoy this rich and comforting Fall treat.
Polenta pairs well with just about anything so enjoy as a main dish served with roasted vegetables. You could even serve this as a perfect side dish for Thanksgiving dinner, or even an appetizer!
What’s also great about pumpkin polenta is that pumpkin is considered a superfood. It’s packed with antioxidants like alpha-carotene, beta-carotene and beta-cryptoxanthin. These antioxidants neutralize free radicals and stop cellular damage.
Pumpkin is also high in Vitamins A, C, and E which all work together to help boost your immune system. Immunity is especially important in the Fall/Winter months.
So, make this pumpkin polenta tonight and not only will you soothe your soul, your body will thank you too.
Pumpkin Polenta Notes:
You can enjoy this pumpkin dish on Cycles 2-4 of the 17 Day Diet: Activate, Achieve and Arrive Cycles!
- 3 cups fat-free and low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 1/4 cups canned pumpkin (do not use canned pumpkin pie filling)
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 cup instant polenta
- Put the broth, pumpkin puree, cumin, cinnamon, salt, pepper, and cayenne (if using) into a large saucepan.
- Set over medium-high heat; whisk occasionally until the pumpkin dissolves and the mixture comes to a simmer.
- Reduce the heat to medium-low. Whisk in the polenta.
- Continue stirring until thick and creamy, about 3 minutes. Serve and enjoy!
- A whisk is important, it helps keep the polenta creamy. A wooden spoon will work, but your polenta will be lumpy not creamy.
- Feel free to add other spices like sage.
- Add 2 ounces of finely grated fat-free cheese to the polenta by stirring it in at the end after the pan is off the heat.
- You can easily double this recipe to feed a crowd!
For more low-carb, comforting and simply delicious recipes, get your copy of the official 17 Day Diet Recipe Guide.